I have stockpiled many articles on the misuse of “FEAR” being instilled in the American people as a political strategy. I firmly disagree that there is no threat against American life and culture and I agree with those who believe it is NOT an existential threat but it does exist.
Note the Congressional assignment to the Director CIA set forth below:
EXTRACT FROM SENATE REPORT 105-24
JUNE 9, 1997
AUTHORIZING APPROPRIATIONS FOR FISCAL YEAR 1998 FOR THE INTELLIGENCE
ACTIVITIES OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
From page 6 of the report:
In his unclassified confirmation testimony before the Committee, the Acting DCI committed to prepare annual National Intelligence Estimates or comparable reports on (1) the ballistic and cruise missile threats to the United States, and (2) the threat to the United States of “non-traditional” attacks using chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons delivered by means other than by ballistic or cruise missiles. The Committee [Senate Select Committee on Intelligence] welcomes the ADCI’s commitment in this regard, and looks forward to reviewing these products. These estimates should be provided to the Congressional Intelligence Committees annually, on or before February 15, with the first report to be submitted on or before February 15, 1998.
The annual estimate on the ‘non-traditional’ WMD threat to the United States shall include, at a minimum:
(1) The current threat of an attack against the United States using a weapon of mass destruction, including the ability of terrorist groups or hostile governments to produce and deliver to the United States a WMD, or the components thereof;
(2) The degree to which the threat will increase by the year 2010;
(3) The sources of the threat;
(4) The potential delivery means of carrying out a WMD attack against the United States;
(5) The relative feasibility of different means of delivery and the probability that such an attack against the United States would use ballistic missiles, cruise missiles or any other means of delivery; and
(6) The vulnerability of the United States to such an attack, including, but not limited to, the ability of terrorist groups or hostile governments to clandestinely transport into the United States a WMD or the components necessary to construct a WMD, and the capability of the United States to detect and intercept the importation of such a weapon.
Not later than March 15, 1998, the President shall submit to the Congressional Intelligence Committees a report that identifies the funds appropriated in Fiscal Year 1998 and requested in the fiscal Year 1999 budget to defend the United States against a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons attack using ballistic missiles, cruise missiles or any other means of delivery.
. . . . . . ..
I have no knowledge as to whether these reports were prepared. But if I was President Obama I would order any that exist declassified and released publicaly with suitable redactions for means and methods to prevent disclosure. Let Obama be like Winston Churchill and give the American polity the bad news so that we (the USA) can form some start on the risk assessment of the massive investment in HOMELAND SECURITY since 9/11/01 and HOMELAND DEFENSE!